Favela Feelings: Rocinha Walking Tour
Get to know the largest favela in Brazil on this tour that busts myths and shatters stereotypes. This isn’t a ‘slum tour’ — it’s a chance for you to learn about the urban history and experience the real culture of these favela communities on the city’s hillsides.
We explore the streets and alleys, wander past indie shops and bars, chat with locals, and eventually reach a rooftop with an amazing view of the community and the city below on this Favela walking tour. With a local guide by your side, you’ll come to understand what local life is really like, as you engage with the people who call the favelas their home.
Rio Favela Walking Tour Highlights
- Experience daily life in Rocinha, the largest favela in Brazil
- Wander the vibrant streets of this “city” within Rio that’s full of contrasts, local stories, and colourful culture
- Take in amazing views of São Conrado and Gavea Rock from a local’s house rooftop
- Gain a better understanding of urban development and favelas in Rio de Janeiro
- Learn about the local economy and the independent businesses that make up communities like Rocinha
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide and round-trip private transportation from/to the designated pick-up and drop-off points.
Exclusions: Food and drinks, souvenirs and personal shopping, and tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Duration: 3 hours
- Meeting point: Hotels and hostels located in the southern area of Rio: Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon, Botafogo, and Laranjeiras neighbourhoods. For other areas we pick up from the Copacabana Palace Hotel (Atlantica Avenue, 1702).
- Starting time: 9.00 AM
- Ending point: Hotels and hostels located in the southern area of Rio: Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon, Botafogo, and Laranjeiras neighbourhoods. For other areas, the drop-off is at the Copacabana Palace Hotel (Atlantica Avenue, 1702).